Sunday 16 March 2014

Foaming Moromi!

It has now been 3 days since completing Sandan Shikomi and fermentation in progressing a little too well.  When choosing the correct size fermentation container, you will need one that is at least 3-5 times the volume you plan to make.  For example, use a 30+ litres fermentation bucket to make 12 litres of sake, or in my case a 60 - 120 litre fermenter for 24 litres of sake.

There is good reason for this as you need to allow for the expanding foam produced during the early stages of Moromi.
Below is my 60 litre fermentation bucket, which due to large amounts of carbon dioxide being produced blew the lid of the bucket during the night, brew temperature was 11.4°C.  There is normally a little more room for the foam, however I have placed a 5 litre bottle of frozen water in the fermentation bucket to help lower the temperature.



Foaming like this tells us that the fermentation temperature is too high and must be reduced.  I am now trying to reduce and maintain between 7-10°C until primary fermentation is complete.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sake Saru !

    I just discovered this blog by wandering on the web to gather some informations on sake brewing.

    I simply write you this message to say that I'm also currently trying my first batch of sake ( I'm following mostly Will Auld's book and website, and I chose the kimoto method for the moto/shubo). Surprisingly, I realized you seem to be just a few days ahead of me in the process (I'm finishing Tomezoe tomorrow 17 march)
    I will hence be closely following your blog from now on :)

    And if you are interested, as both our first sake brewing experience are almost synchronized, I'd happily share my experience with you if you have any question about how things are happening on my side. So do not hesitate to ask !
    And thank you for your effort in making your own experience public !

    Johan (from France)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Johan,

    Thanks for your comment and I look forward to hearing your progress.
    I have a lot planned for my blog and a few surprises along the way.

    Many thanks,
    Sake Saru

    ReplyDelete